Tuesday 25 February 2014

Some pictures and thoughts from the Gulval West presentation

Yesterday I attended the presentation of the proposed Gulval West development. I thought after seeing the community meeting the week before (firmly opposed to doubling the size of the village), I'd see what the developer's (Terrace Hill) PR firm had to offer (Creatix PR).

I went in the evening shunning the Councillor invite only session, for three reasons, 1 it was more convenient for me, 2 I don't like the idea of behind closed doors meetings, 3 I was interested in what people had to say.

When I went along about 5:45 there was approximately 20 people there. Which was good to see people interested, lots of filling in forms, talking to PR people and conversely talking against the development. Whether the 150 or so that packed the hall the week before attended is hard to tell as the public event was from 3-7.

Some thoughts: It's clear from the boards with resident's priorities marked with spots that affordable housing is wanted and needed, it's also clear transport issues are a problem and there is an abject lack of public space in Gulval (fields while they're still there aside). It's hard to get a true picture as the PR firm quite ably as we'd expect channeled people's thoughts, fears and desires into pigeon holes their choosing. There wasn't for example priority boxes for no development, high quality farmland, landscape or easing traffic congestion.

If you fancy the boards from the exhibition are online search:  Gulval West There is as intial comment, a lack of improvement to roads which are frankly substandard at the moment. Confusing plans for Ponsadane field, which often floods and I doubt is suitable for allotments and a playground. Or as 1 resident said to me perhaps more suited to rice paddies. Little or no regard for the flooding issues of building on a hillside which already has significant water run off on one side (Trythogga hill) and flooding the other (Chyandour). I think this story will run and run...

The community group do have a facebook and twitter and I believe a website soon: @GulvalVillage. Also a fair amount of press coverage already...


No comments:

Post a Comment