Monday 3 February 2014

My nomination as Mebyon Kernow's General Election candidate for St Ives

Hopefully with the agreement of MK's National Executive Committee I will be the party's candidate in the 2015 General Election for the St Ives Constituency. It's taken a while to sink in and I've taken the weekend off to consider it (and to enjoy the 6 Nations of course). It's something I have thought about for a long while, thanks to the support of the constituency branch and I must say my family, I have taken this step.
enjoying the rare blue skies at Geevor yesterday
Assuming the NEC does ratify my candidacy, I have a lot of work ahead of me. I've had many offers from people within the branch and hoping to get more from friends and family (get in contact if you can help robscornishblog@gmail.com).

Stay tuned for more, regular readers will have an inside track of what I can offer the people of West Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, the kind of things I believe in. In the near future I will be outlining, the kind of changes I think we need from politicians and government. But for now, I'll just say we need change, there are lots of things wrong with politics, Cornwall doesn't get a fair deal from central government, we need to take control of our own destiny. Housing is a mess, with too many second homes and not enough affordable housing. Our economy needs investment, we need new jobs here and we need to protect the industries we have left. Transport links are woeful within Cornwall, between here and Scilly and with the wider world. 

I also think it's time for a better kind of politics, morality and reform are far removed from the current set up. Politicians ought to be better known for the struggles to make things better not their abilities to claim expenses and bemoan those they don't like in society. The boat needs some serious rocking.

Thanks for reading and welcome to the start of my next political journey...



No comments:

Post a Comment