Skip to main content

my support for the tax dodging bill

As a parliamentary candidate, I receive a lot of emails asking me to support or oppose various issues. It's greatly encouraging for me that people do take the time to email candidates and press them on their views and ask them to support change. One in particular caught my eye the campaign for a 'Tax dodging bill' for a number of reasons, personally I think tax justice and closing the loopholes that allows big corporations to avoid and evade tax is long over due. On top of this, more people have emailed me on this subject than any other. (Wherever you are please email your PPC and MP on the subject click here to do so.)

I wholeheartedly endorse these sentiments that introduce the policy briefing on the bill:

"In a just tax system, everyone pays their fair share - each according to their means - to the public purse. But when those most able to pay can unfairly escape their contributions to society, the majority of people lose out. Inequality increases and there is less public money available to contribute towards improving the lives of the poorest." 

I sincerely hope whichever MPs and government are elected in May that they think long and hard on these issues and right this wrong by introducing such a bill.

Here's my message to the organisers behind the campaign:

My view on the Tax Dodging bill as MK PPC for St Ives 

Dear sir/ madam,

I'd first like to congratulate your organisation on this campaign, this is a vital issue and one that needs to be resolved. It's a credit to your campaigning and to how important the issue of tax dodging is that i have had more campaign emails on this issue than any other so far in this campaign. If anything shows the will of the people and the support for a system where everybody pays their fair share of tax it is this campaign. 

My view is that we live in an unequal world, disparities between the rich and the poor widen, this is true not only of individuals but also of businesses. The present lax tax regime allows bigger companies and richer people to create an unfair playing field to the detriment of smaller companies and less well off people. This is a situation that has to change in order to restore fairness, ensure decent public services and tackle poverty. Having legislation to stop tax evasion and tax avoidance, on such a large scale, is long over due. 

I wholeheartedly support this campaign and pledge to make the bill law if I am elected as an MP in May. In the meantime anything I can do to help please get in contact.

Kind regards

Rob  

Popular posts from this blog

The 3 actions Penzance Town Centre needs from Cornwall Council

My name is Rob Simmons and I'm a candidate for Penzance East in this Thursdays Cornwall Council election and these are my 3 priorities for our town centre:  1 Action on reducing Parking Fees  2 Action on unfair business rates 3 Action on empty shops and buildings.  I firmly believe that Cornwall Council ought to do more to support Penzance Town Centre and these 3 changes would be a massive leap forward.

1.Action on Parking Fees, Penzance has some of the highest parking fees in Cornwall, we all know that it puts people off coming to town and crucially shoppers from staying for longer periods. With out of town retail parks popping up everywhere and the lure and convenience of the internet our town centre needs help. Cornwall Council must do it's part in supporting the town centre. Penzance needs a Cornwall Councillor that will lobby to change this and find a solution that benefits us and stops CC seeing Penzance as a way of making money. We need to see a major overhaul of parking…

A breath of fresh air at Penzance Town Council

The election has certainly rung a great many changes at Penzance Town Council. There are now 12 brand new councillors (although Simon Reed has been on the council before). Between retirements and not getting re-elected not a single mayor that served between 2013-2017 is now on the council and only 1 that served as deputy mayor in that time are still on the council. A number of former mayors, deputy mayors and chairs and vice chairs of committees are also no longer with the council. Or to put it another way many of the active town councillors that formed the approach and policies of the town council in the past are no longer there pulling the strings.

When I was first elected back in 2013 there was a feeling that (long overdue) change had been brought to the council, that those new people elected had brought change. That was the feeling with 8 new councillors elected and 12 of the existing councillors being re-elected. This time around there are 12 new councillors and only 8 from befo…

Some of my work for Penzance or why I'd be an effective Cornwall Councilor

This blog intends to illustrate some of my work for Penzance and to show the kind of issues I have supported and argued against, over the last few years. In this time of great political turmoil and with Brexit looming large on the horizon, it is more important than ever to have representatives that will stand up for issues, knows how to campaign effectively and gets things done. There are 2 sections below; 1 being an effective councillor and 2 standing up for local issues, these are the reasons why I think I am a very credible Cornwall Council candidate and why with a greater platform I could be more effective in making things happen. This is only a glimpse of my work for Penzance East, please read some of  my older posts for more and as always any questions or comments find me on twitter @cernyw or drop me an email robscornishblog@gmail.com.

Being an effective councillor:

I was elected onto Penzance Town Council back in 2013, when I also stood for Cornwall Council for Penzance East. I…