Saturday, 27 August 2011

Cornish unionists for recognition, some thoughts


It has come to my attention that a new facebook group has been started titled "Cornish pride, Cornish recognition", the info page explains:

Cornish Unionists for Recognition Action Group. (CUFRAG)
We are a non-political pressure group, campaigning for the Recognition of Cornwall as a Nation of Great Britain, within the United Kingdom.
Our aim is to obtain status as a Nation that enables our sporting teams and individuals to compete in the international arena.
We would also like to be able to say that we are Cornish, for example, in Census Returns or on Official Paperwork.
We do not promote the Cornish Language.
We do not promote Devolution in Cornwall.
We do not promote Independence.
We are not anti-English.  link to page


This is an interesting development, it certainly is not my cup of tea, I am a Cornish nationalist and a member of Mebyon Kernow, I believe wholeheartedly that Cornwall would be better served by devolution in the form of a Cornish Assembly. On the issue of Cornish independence I am actually unclear, I am more than willing to give devolution a try and see how that goes for the mean time. As to Kernewek I believe strongly in the promotion of it and I do believe school children should be given the choice to learn the Cornish language in schools. In a multi-lingual education environment, there is room for our language to take a place amongst French, German and Spanish at the very least.

That said, I welcome the move to broaden the debate about the recognition of Cornish national identity. There is no reason why Cornish identity should be solely agitated for by nationalists. Being Cornish does not mean people are not and can not be proud of the EU, UK or Britain. Recognition of the Cornish people as a distinct nation from the English does not entail immediate devolution or independence, it is a wholly separate issue to Cornwall's place within the UK. This is a point I explored in my blog about the Cornish 2nd National Minority Report, where I explained about cross party support for Cornish legal recognition, link here.

I believe the facebook group was started by a guy called Martin Noye who blogs here: http://tanipitus.blogspot.com/ well worth a read. Also he was the one who started the e petition to recognise Cornish identity, which if you haven't signed it please do.