Monday 23 August 2010

A Minister for Cornwall? my letter from the Prime Minister

I received a letter from the Prime Minister to a question I was supposed to pose at the PM Direct event in Newquay recently. As circumstances would have it I did not attend but did nonetheless receive a reply from the Prime Minister (well from his office the facsimile signature was very unconvincing as we all know the Prime Minister is on holiday in our Duchy as I write this). My question to David Cameron was about the supposed appointment of a Minister for Cornwall, for those of you that don’t know the announcement of a Shadow Minister for Cornwall was announced via you tube on the 24th July 2007.




Now seeing as the Tories were in government, many in Cornwall has assumed that this Shadow Minister would become a full Minister for Cornwall. This was the subject of the question that I wished to ask David Cameron and the subject of his offices letter to me. Which you can see for yourself below:


Although it doesn’t explicitly rule out a Minister with responsibilities for Cornwall, I take this as meaning we will not be getting this form of special attention by the government. It is nice to have some clarity at last after various promises were made.  Apparently with the election won there’s no need to placate the Cornish electorate and we shall go back to being far from the heart of government.

No comments:

Post a Comment